Carmen’s workout is performed in a circuit style regiment which will not only send your heart rate through the roof but which will also ensure that almost every muscle fiber throughout your posterior chain will be activated. That’s right, Carmen’s workout is not just about the booty, it is designed to really shape up your quads, tighten your hamstrings and lift your gluteus for maximum results.
Carmen’s routine comprises of the following exercises:
- Sumo Squats
- Barbell Squats
- Step-Ups On Bench
- Glute Bridge Raise
- Walking Lunges
“Sumo squats are a fantastic exercise as it engages your hamstrings, quads and glutes; or what I like to call the summer leg trifecta” says Carmen. “I follow that up with barbell squats which mainly targets the quads, but also hits the glutes, hammies, calves and muscles in your lower back. From there I move on to step-ups using a bench which is also a quad dominant exercise but which targets it from a different angle.
To really hit the glutes, I do a glute bridge raise with a barbell. I like to go relatively heavy on this exercise to help build my booty. Finally, I complete my circuit with walking lunges to really finish off my hammies, glutes and quads. I either do it with dumbbells or a barbell. You can use whichever you feel most comfortable with,” explains Carmen.
Carmen’s Pro Tips:
- With sumo squats, stand with your feet across two bench steps so you can really drop your booty down low before the dumbbell you are holding touches the floor.
- Make sure to use a free weight barbell when doing your squats and not the Smith machine as it places a lot more stress not just on the legs but on the entire body.
- On step-ups, keep the movement nice and controlled, and don’t go too heavy.
- With the glute bridge raise, hold steady at the top of the movement for a second and really squeeze the muscle.
- When finishing off with walking lunges, you will probably be out of breath, but this not an excuse to slack on form. Keep your back straight and upright and don’t let your knee go past your toe as you walk.
- Last tip; be proud to show off your booty this summer on the beach.