Different.org, a crowdfunding philanthropy platform, is empowering South Africa’s sporting community to make their training and races contribute towards positive change in our country. Their current #Whatif campaign rewards physical exercise with monetary allocations towards five prominent local non-profits.
Those visionary organisations who dedicate themselves wholeheartedly to carrying out truly life changing work in communities across the country.
Simply registering as an Activist on the Different.org portal ensures that R100 gets instantly allocated to a charity of choice. For an ordinary morning run or ride, an Activist has the potential to get up to R800 allocated to a Non Profit.
It’s really that easy – and exciting.
The five non-profits are HospiceWits, Cotlands, Wildlands, Rhiza Babuyile and Rays of Hope – and each of these organisations have a great track record of making a positive impact in the respective communities that they serve.
All the allocated money goes to the non-profit – there are no fees, charges or hidden costs, which is pretty unique in the crowdfunding world. This really is all about showing that people can make a difference without it costing them anything.
Says Ryan Sobey, Head of Operations at Different.org: “All our funding comes from Different Life which offers life insurance with a difference using a unique online platform. Not only is insurance made simple, inexpensive, effective, but Different Life cover makes you an instant philanthropist. It’s insurance with a feel good factor that sees every client partake in the Different Donation programme. The first monthly payment – and the first payment every year – becomes a Different Donation, allocated to a good cause of choice through Different.org. But you do not have to be a Different Life client to help allocate Different.org’s funds. Anyone can register.”
A hero’s kick start
Those wanting to become Activists can register on the Different.org crowd funding platform and by doing this, register their support for a particular organisation that stands to benefit from their training. Activists then have the option of participating in various #Whatif challenges where they run, ride or swim pre-set distances, all the while having the option of tracking their activity via the Strava app. In so doing they know they are directly impacting an organisation they care about.
Activists share their Strava data in each challenge, proving their participation and also inspiring their friends and family to participate and join the movement, thereby raising even more money for the non-profits.
To learn more about how to become a #Whatif Activist, visit: www.different.org/hero-kickstart to access a digital toolbox of tutorials and videos which contain all you need to know about:
- How to become an activist
- Completing #Whatif challenges
- Using video to inspire your donors
- Asking (nicely) for donations
- Five tips to fund your project
- Giving great feedback to your donors
“Make sure you check out our website’s blog. It is a source of inspiration to many, detailing the personal stories of quiet heroes, those who have exerted both small and enormous physical effort to raise funds through their sporting activities. It shines a light on the heart-warming work of the various non-profits supported by Different.org and even provides training tips for sporting enthusiasts” concludes Sobey.
Use your training to make difference. To sign up as an Activist go to www.different.org
Step by Step process to participate in #Whatifdifference campaign:
Challenge #1: BECOME AN ACTIVIST
- Step 1: Visit www.different.org
- Step 2: Identify which of the five available Non-Profits you would like to support.
- Step 3: Click on the “Become an Activist” button, found directly underneath the name of the Non-profit you would like to support.
- Step 4: Register with facebook, Google or Strava as an Activist or alternatively just with your name and email address – R100 is instantly donated to charity.
- Step 5: Optional: Share your Activist Page status with your social media community.
Challenge #2: RECORD YOURSELF DOING TRAINING
- Step 1: Record yourself (via Strava or by a selfie) completing “one” of the physical activities below:
NB: You can only submit one activity, so make it count!
- In one session: run 5km, cycle 20km or swim 500m (For completing this, R100 will be allocated to your selected non-profit).
- In one session: run 10km, cycle 40km or swim 1km (For completing this, R200 will be allocated to your selected non-profit).
- In one session: run 21km, cycle 80km or swim 2km (For completing this, R300 will be allocated to your selected non-profit).
- In one session: run 42km, cycle 90km+ or swim 3km (For completing this, R500 will be allocated to your selected non-profit).
- Step 2: Click on the button that says: “Click here if you have done this”
- Step 3: Upload your Strava or photographic evidence to your Activist Page Profile.
Challenge #3: BECOME A TRUE ACTIVIST
- Step 1: Identify friends you think might be willing to donate an amount of any size to help get your funding up to R1 000 on your selected project. If you and your friends raise R1 000 or more, Different.org will donate an additional R100.
- Step 2: Privately (over email) or publicly (on social media), write them a message to ask for their support and simply include the unique url that appears on your Activist profile, under the “Challenge #3” tab (e.g. https://different.org/projects/improving-the-lives-of-south-africas-children/whatif-your-training-helped-cotlands/jacqueline_wijtenburg_1). When they follow that link they will see that they can very simply make a donation using the Support button on the page. They can do so via Credit or Debit card and EFT’s.
- Step 3: Click on the button that says: “Click here if you have done this” . This will instantly allocate R100 to your activist project.
Challenge #4: ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO BECOME ACTIVISTS TOO
- Step 1: Privately (over email) or publicly (on social media) share the unique url that is supplied to you under the “Challenge #4” tab on your Activist Profile Page (e.g. www.different.org/cotlands/?referredby=67133) with at least three friends and ask them to become activists.
- Step 2: Click on the button that says: “Click here if you have done this” . This will instantly allocate R100 to your activist project.