If you haven’t discovered and don’t eat cottage cheese yet, you are really missing out. This super food is high in casein protein, which digests relatively slowly. It can be used in so many ways, to make tasty high protein desserts, dips, milk shakes and much more. Now if you ever find yourself in a situation where your local supermarket is out of cottage cheese, don’t worry, you can find out how to make your own right here!
Your primary ingredient is Lacto, or simply sour milk.
It’s really simple to do and the idea is to separate the solid parts from the watery parts of the lacto. A muslin cloth is used as a sieve to do the separating.
Homemade Cottage Cheese
By January 18, 2013Published:
If you haven’t discovered and don’t eat cottage cheese yet, you are really missing out. This super food is high in casein …
- First place the 3 entire packets of lacto (leaving the lacto in the packets) in a deep bowl and boil some water in the kettle.
- Once the water has boiled pour the hot water in the bowl to just cover the packets of lacto.
- Leave the water in for just over 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes boil some more water, and empty the existing water out of the bowl.
- Now repeat steps 2 – 4, 4 more times.
- Now take a second bowl and place the muslin cloth over the bowl tightly as in the picture.
- Empty the packets of lacto onto the cloth slowly and leave for 3 – 4 hours allowing it to drain through.
- Once drained, squeeze any excess water out and then scrape the remaining contents inside the cloth out, into a container and there you have your cottage cheese.
- Course: Snack