The gym goes in cycles for many people, some months it will be so full while other months will be so quiet you can hear the tumbleweeds. In those times when it becomes exceptionally full, it can be frustrating trying to find a bench or a piece of equipment that you need. In those times you need to learn to train with as few pieces of equipment as you can, while still attaining the same intensity.
That is precisely what the following workouts are for. All you need is to find a small space for yourself in the gym and grab a few things and you will be set to get that intense workout in without even having to move around!
There are 2 workouts below, the first targeting more of the lower body and the second mostly for the upper body, with one core specific exercise included in both. How you do them is really up to you, you can do one of the workouts per day and then alternate between them on different days (ideally). Or you can do both workouts in one session, just reducing the sets of everything, to get in a full body workout. It just depends how much time you have, how you are feeling and what you want to.
It is pretty simple, just do each exercise (for the amount of reps or time) consecutively and once you finish the last exercise you can take a short rest for about 2 – 3 minutes. Then repeat for 5 sets. Feel free to modify the amount of sets or reps depending on your fitness level as well as the amount of weight used. Try to do about 2 sets first to assess how much you can handle if you are not sure.
lower body focus
- What you will need:
A small space with a wall, a gym ball and a pair of kettlebells.
- Hollow body holds | 30 seconds to 1 minutes (Break the up if you cannot hold the full 30 seconds).
- Kettle bell swings | 20 reps.
- Wall ball squats (Optional, You can hold the kettlebells in each hand) | 30 – 15 reps depending on weight used.
- Glute bridge raise and hold | 20 reps, Hold each rep and squeeze the glutes for 3-5 seconds.
- Side kick and hold | 10 each side, hold each kick for 5 seconds.
- Jumping alternating lunges (Optional, Add weight) | 10 reps each leg.
upper body focus
- What you will need:
A small space, one barbell with weights, one set of dumbbells, and a medicine ball (optional).
- V Ups | 15 – 10 reps
- Bicep barbell curls | 15 – 10 reps depending on the weight used.
- Burpees with push up | 10 reps.
- Close grip push ups (Can also be done on the medicine ball) | 10 reps.
- Side shoulder dumbbell raises | 15 – 10 reps.
- One arm shoulder dumbbell press | 10 reps each arm.
- Bent over barbell row | 20 – 15 reps.